Thursday, April 19, 2012

Arkansas Man States: "Finally Someone Puts Epilepsy Into a Story!"

Mr.Tim Parsons Sr. shares what "The Village and Kevin Bolden" has done for him."

Hello,

My name is Tim. I recently came across Lowell Evans book, "The Village". I sent Mr. Evans the following message located at the bottom of this message...

I was amazed that someone had finally put in a story some of what I had experienced as a person with epilepsy myself. Although I have not read the book, I knew when I read about what the plot was what the book was about. This happens all too often in society today. It happened to me. I worked for the USPS from 1984 until late 1992 or early 1993, it was just before the Family Medical Leave Act was signed into law. I had begged my place of employment to let me do exactly what the FMLA gave workers the right to finally do. My meds needed adjustment after approximately 9 years of working, but my supervisors didn't like me missing work, even though I brought them explanations from my doctors about why I was having to miss work. Eventually, due to the stress and being made fun of by co workers, and with no help from EEOC I had a nervous breakdown because I could not get out of the hostile environment which was only making my situation worse.

I am sure myself nor "Kevin Bolden" are the only ones that epilepsy affects in this way, and the stigma that is attached to it by society is morally reprehensible. No one there saw anything wrong with what was going on.... I could not get any help from anyone, believe me, I tried. I was in the fight of my life, I had a family to feed and care for. If I failed in doing that, what kind of a man was I???

The reason I am telling you this, is that the story of Kevin Bolden, needs to be told, and told loudly. I have spoken with Mr. Evans, and it is like we have lived the same life, only a thousand miles apart. And I feel that there are a million other "Kevin Boldens" out there, who struggle everyday just to get up and go to work, knowing they too will have to face the harassment, and humiliation of being mocked, talked about behind their back and ridiculed afterward, all because they have, shhh, "epilepsy".

I was living the American Dream, and it turned into a nightmare for my family and myself...

Please help spread the word, and educate an ignorant population about epilepsy, and rid our society of the stigma associated with it.

Thank you for helping Mr. Evans, and thank you for allowing a small light to shine and reach me in what seems like a very dark and cruel world.

Sincerely,

Tim Parsons, Sr.



1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful that Mr. Parsons took the time to tell the "truth" about what some people who have epilepsy have to deal with in life! This is the reason why I have to continue on my mission! Look at what "The Village and Kevin Bolden did for him!"

    Lowell G.Evans
    Author of: "The Village"

    ReplyDelete