Friday, April 20, 2012

Indiana Man In Awe of African American Man Revealing He Has Epilepsy!

 Mrs. Sonja Glass shares what "The Village" and the Men of New Life Church did for her brother, Mr. Kirk Hawkins!

Excerpt From Letter Sent by Mrs. Sonja Glass:

"My brother called me to report he had received the book from you. Lowell, I was in awe of my brother’s awe in knowing someone cared enough to send the book, that people took the time to write to him personally in the book, that an African American man (you) would reveal to the world he has epilepsy. I listened as my brother quoted scriptures, praised God, and talked about his past and his anger at having epilepsy. Most of all, I listened as my brother began to heal a little.

Lowell, my brother asked me to tell you on that day that if you did not hear from him in awhile, not to worry, but the overwhelming feelings that book and the words of encouragement from the congregation was new and a little too much for him. Yet, he shocked me by saying “sis, tells my story to Lowell or anyone. But make sure you tell it all”.

Lowell, Kirk Hawkins had epileptic seizures. But he finished school, mastered a trade (as taught to him by our father) as an electrician, served our country honorably in the United States Army for many years, became a husband, father and now a grandfather. He (like you) is the face of epilepsy.

My brother said he Prays no one ever has to have seizures, yet he thank God for avenues of education such as your book to put not just a medical term to the illness, but an instrument such as yours that will actually give a face to the illness.

Thanks again!

We (Kirk and I) wish you the very best in your endeavors now and in the future.

6/15/11

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Kirk Hawkins did not believe that I should have written a book about epilepsy! All of this was because I am an African American. Where Mr. Hawkins was raised, epilepsy was not seen as a "medical condition" , it was looked at as being a "spiritual demon". He suffered greatly because of this "lack of knowledge" of epilepsy! Not until he received a copy of the novel with "words of inspiration" from the men of New Life Church did he believe that someone actually cared for him who did not even know him!

    ReplyDelete