Wednesday, July 18, 2012

ERASE THE "MYTHS AND STIGMAS" OF EPILEPSY

EPILEPSY: Eliminating the Myths; Understanding the Causes

Wednesday, 20 June 2012 18:30

By Leonard E. Colvin
Chief Reporter
New Journal and Guide

Lowell G. EvansIn 1979, while attending Virginia Wesleyan College, Lowell G. Evans was playing in a pick up basketball game when he suddenly became dizzy and passed out. The next thing he knew, paramedics were standing around him. “They said I may have had an epileptic seizure,” said Evans. “Epileptic? I told them I did not smoke that stuff.  I did not know what they were talking about.” At the hospital’s emergency room, doctors discovered a scar at the back of his head which they said may have contributed to the spell.

“They told me that the scar may have been caused by an injury and may have caused previous episodes of epilepsy. I did not think I had any,” said  Evans, who is now 51 and living In Virginia Beach. “I did not know what epilepsy was. I did not know how it would change  my life. But since then, I discovered with treatments meds, I had nothing to fear and I am living a normal life.”
While he was growing up in rural Gloucester County Virginia,  Lowell G. Evans had never heard of epilepsy, let alone  recognized any signs that he may have had the disease. He does recall people who had “spells” who fell to the ground in spasms. He recalled adults saying they were  caused by demons embedded in the person’s soul seeking to control it.  


Until scientists unraveled the causes of epilepsy, people thought it was triggered by full moon or demons. There are various forms of epilepsy and varied reasons attribured to why mother nature imposes it on the lives of over three million people in the United States and a quarter of a million African Americans. The medical experts say that brain chemistry, hereditary, physical injury, prenatal injuries, and exposure to chemicals and other environmental poisons are on the list for causing epilepsy.

Today, Evans is an advocate to educate on the condition. He has written  “The Village,”  a 228-page book which is part biography and part  social commentary and instructional guide on the disease.  “When I first told people that I had epilepsy, most of the reactions were negative and most of the views people had were negative,” said Evans. “It takes a village to raise a child; it  also takes a village to change  the negative views toward epilepsy.” Evans said that society’s ignorance about epilepsy can be just as detrimental as the disease itself. He noted that people display symptoms of the disease differently, and it may be interpreted as alcoholism, drug addiction, psychosis or other  physically debilitating ailments

One good example he offers is a story about Kevin. “Kevin was a highly successful African American man. One day, a couple, who were his neighbors and knew his family, saw him experiencing a seizure out in public and they thought he was an alcoholic or on drugs because he was lying out in the street.   From that point on they decided not to have anything to do with him socially,” said Evans. “Well, the two sons of that couple, who played with Kevin’s children, witnessed him having a more severe epileptic seizure  while they were at his house playing with his kids,” said Evans. “At that point, the two sons were educated. It was not substance abuse or insanity. It was not something which was contagious.”

Evans says epilepsy does not deter people from acquiring careers and achieving their life dreams. He said that actor and activist Danny Glover is epileptic. He joins President Theodore Roosevelt, Author Charles Dickens  (writer of the Christmas Carol), NBA player Bobby Jones, Alexander the Great, and  Julius Caesar, among others, known to suffer from the disease. After he graduated from college in 1983, Evans was recruited by the Safeway Corporation  as a manager, a job he worked for 15 years.  He did operational analysis for Bank of America for 10 years; then  he went into retail sales. Now he is promoting his book and advocating and educating people about epilepsy.

Evans said there are three degrees of epileptic seizures from mild to severe. All are  the result of “bio-electric impulses not fully being transmitted through the brain to make the body function properly for brief periods of time,” he explained. Evans said that an individual may experience an “aura” which is a warning sign “when you feel a light-headed feeling, an unbalance.” “You are walking and you want to move your arms and you can’t,” said Evans.  ”When I have an aura, it indicates that the level of medicine I take to deter epilepsy is low or not at the proper levels.  It does not always mean that a seizure will occur.” Sometimes the person having the seizure goes into a kind of altered state for a short period of time. The person may looked dazed or stare into space. In such a case, it is enough to stay by the person and wait for the seizure to pass. The most important thing is to be calm.

Evans said epileptic seizures can be triggered by varying factors, including certain smells or flashes of light. He is prescribed two different medications to control the onset of seizures. Evans said that he has been talking to owners of the Messenger Films about doing a movie based on his book, detailing the story of man who is epileptic and goes on a quest to educate the village with words about the disease.

For more information, go to thevillageiscoming@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Hello Everyone,

    At the age of 15 I had my first seizure. I was in high school and didn't want anyone to know that I had epilepsy. I have only had seizures on two occasions. I was so ashamed and didn't want people to think that something was wrong with me. I finally got to the point where I told people that I had epilepsy. I came to the place that I realized that I had to own my epilepsy or it would control me. Epilepsy hadn't really affected my life until about 8 years ago after my first child was born... I am a wife and mother of three beautiful children. I have lived with epilepsy for 20 years Yet, my life has been dramatically impacted by epilepsy. I had search for cure at online without no hope. I met a Man called DR Ethan, i contact him I made an order of his medicine and I do not experience seizure anymore i was cured form it. So if you are in the same situation as me contact him on this email doctor.ethan6@gmail.com or call him +1(386-237-6472)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Sophia I have just been told I am having seizures; my kind of seizures is so different from all the others I have heard about. Three years ago I went to my doctor with dizziness, weakness, and unstable walking at times. I had an MRI done, they found nothing, so I was put on Prozac which I refused to take, after three years I went to another doctor who did an EEG right after one of those dizzy spells and found out that I was having seizures. He told me I had them at first on the left side of my front lob now it is on both sides. He started me out on Dilantin 300mg, but it was making me very sick, so now I'm starting on divalproex er 500mg. If anyone out there is having dizzy spells, make your doctor listen to you, have an EEG done within 24hours, But after all procedure done. I was still an epileptic patient, who have completely lose hope. As the problem is always embarrassing and disturbing. While surfing the internet one fateful day, I saw woman's comment about how medicine has complete cure her only son and prompted me into going through the testimony to know the detail and that was when I learned about Doctor Ethan.
    I contacted him with some info and he ordered a dispatch down to my country through delivery service, I took his medicine for couple of months, though hesitantly, considering the fact that I have done a lot of procedure.
    Over a year now, I have not show any symptoms of seizure and I believe I am cure if you want to contact him at this email doctor.ethan6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete